10.9.03

I decided a while ago that my body would be the recipient of a tattoo.
I struggled a while with concepts, art work and such. I didn't want a tattoo that simply "looked cool," I wanted it to mean something. I looked at my heritage, I am predominantly Swedish, Scottish and Brittish. The Scots have some cool art designs, but Celtic is really big right now and I am not one to be a follower. I have no respect for the Brittish. Luckily, I am quite fond of my Swedish heritage. I visited Sweden and loved it and have done substantial fact finding (for me) on vikings and early peoples and whatnot. So, I decided to go with a rune. I settled on Algiz, which is in the Second Aett, but then the matter of price came up. Each rune is relatively simple and most tattoo shops have a minimum charge or 40 dollars or so. I didn't want to pay $40 for a meager three lines. With that in mind I have picked three more runes to go with it. Uruz, Algiz, Teiwaz and Dagaz will now adorn my arm(probably).
Here is a description of what each means.
Uruz- Energy, vitality and passion.
Algiz- Protection. Affiliated with the god Heimdal who guards the gate to heaven. It also has a connotation with choosing what kind of person you'll be.
Teiwaz- This is closely associated with the god Tyr, who sacrificed his hand to save everything else. It is standing by your morals and being a good person.
Dagaz- There is an interconnectedness to everything. This is also sort of a blessing rune, hopefully granting a good outcome for my life.

So those are the runes, hopefully they work. I don't see myself growing tired of them and they mean a lot to me. Now I just have to pick a position. I want them to be somewhere that I can see them, so I'm thinking my left forearm.

No comments: