31.5.04

Jobs.
Jobs are necessary for money and what not, unless they aren't. I'm spending the summer here in The Roc and thus need a job to pay for rent and food and other fun necessities. Like toilet paper. I had a job all lined up for when I got down here. I was to campaign in an anti-Bush movement. For the Working Families Party, they seem like good enough people. I share many of their beliefs. They wanted me to canvass neighborhoods, rallying support and...asking for money. Sixty dollars they wanted. And they wanted me to pull in $135 daily. I have a hard time asking for money from people, especially strangers. And this manner seemed especially deceitful. We were encouraged to say that its just five dollars a month.
Bah.
Anyway. I went out on the training day. I was an "observer." It was an unpaid day where I started off watching one guy ask people for money, and then graduated to asking by myself. I got no moolah from anyone. And only two signatures. A bit of a let down, but I was assured that on my first day it was cool if you don't pull in any money. That night at the HQ I filled out the necessary paperwork and the director ladies were like, "Great! You'll need to come in tomorrow with a passport or something to finish filling out paperwork so you can get paid. You'll need to make quota in one of the next three days." I thought to myself, "Great! I think I'm gonna quit by Friday."
They didn't even give me the chance. I got a phone call the next day at 11 AM. Didn't make it to the phone in time. They left me a voicemail. "Hi, Krister, this is Cynthia of the Working Families Party. Sometimes our observers don't work out, and we won't be needing you to canvass for us." Awesome. They fired me over voicemail. I wasted an entire evening with them.
I have another job, though. I'm a waiter now at the City Cafe Diner. Its a chain, I hear, and its much like Denny's. A bit better food. Open 24 hours. I work the night shift. From 9 PM to 6 AM five days a week. I've been on two nights and have a little over $90 cash and about $60 salary dollars earned. I'm pleased with those results. Plus, its decent work. I didn't get a proper training, but I'm learning.
Jobs.

No comments: