I'm a real big fan of Jimmy Carter.
I won't argue that he was that great of a president. But his work as an ex-president is phenomenal. Habitat for Humanity, The Carter Center, his work in peace negotiations, monitoring elections and setting up relief programs all speak to a great human being. He's written 27 books since 1980. If I'm not mistaken, that's a book a year. He's an outspoken humanitarian. His moral system is top-notch.
What is there to critique? The damage done during his presidency was far outshined by that done during the Reagan administration and since then he's done nothing but solid, humanitarian works. Maybe people are upset that he speaks up when he sees his country violating every sense of decency it used to have. Say what you will about his term, but unprovoked bloodshed and torture were not public policy, even during the Iranian kidnapping thing.
Oh well. He's still my hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment