Santa Rosa de Lima
This is a problem I have with the church. Women saints. I don't have a problem with the fact that they are women, as mother's are saintly just by virtue of motherhood, but the steps they have to take to become a saint.
Isabel, Sta. Rosa's birthname, lived a painful life. She was a masochist. She was anorexic and self-abusive. If she were alive today she'd be a High School Sophomore. And she'd need mental help. It says right in the write-up of her that she suffered from mental problems.
I don't like that the church encourages harmful behavior towards women. Or encouraged. Either way, its bad. Isabel was rewarded for self-mutilation. She was a beautiful girl, but not allowed to exist as such because of her religious indoctrination. As punishment for being beautiful, for being a woman, she starved and beat herself and scarred her face with lye. And the website tries to sell it as "devotion." I think she crossed the devotion line, and was utterly insane.
I think I want to put her in a movie. An anorexic, self-hating girl. She'll go to counselling and become healthy. I guess she can still be faithful, I certainly don't have issues with people having faith, but her actions were cultish and freaky, like the Heaven's Gate Cult's men's missing genitalia.
No comments:
Post a Comment