29.11.06

On Birthdays

Turned 23 today. All in all an unregrettable day. In classes today, instead of teaching regular spanish I opted for something a little more "fun" from my point of view. We discussed, and by discussed I mean I lectured, linguistic theory that I've been learning from Stephen Pinker's excellent (so far, maybe it takes a turn for the worse in the third act) The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language. I'm learning a lot of cool exciting stuff and had a good time teaching it today as well as yesterday. When I caught the kids paying attention was, of course, the most rewarding. But I wasn't expecting them to for the entire time, there's a lot to listen and catch up on.

I skipped out on teacher's collaborative. Good for me.

Went out to dinner on mum's treat. We went to Dimitri's Restaurant in Scarborough. I had a very good shrimp dish and a fried/scalded cheese appetizer. Both were delicious and I accompanied them with a red wine by Daniel's. Also, I'd never eaten Orzo before so that was an experience. Between the shrimp and the orzo I must say I had a texturally significant meal.

Came home via Bull Moose and watched Firefly. Skimmed over stuff to cover tomorrow in Spanish II. Wrote this. Going to bed.

Also, tons of people posted birthday congratulations on Facebook and - lame as this potentially seems - I'm touched.

And if you want to see some cool stuff, check out Tom Waits' video for Lie to Me and Chocolate Jesus. This man has three kids! I wonder if they realize how cool their dad is or if they're completely disillusioned with him. They'd have to listen to over-polished pop to upset him.

Also, happy birthday Ed Harris, Jon Stewart and William Blake. Those motherfuckers know what I'm talking about.

No comments: