23.11.06

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays for these reasons:
It's difficult to commercialize it (you only buy food to celebrate it).
It's actually got a worthwhile message. No exclusivicity, you don't have to be Christian or Jewish or even American, I feel, to celebrate it.
Food!

I like that you're supposed to take a moment and think about everything that's gotten you to your seat at that table that day. Turn around and thank all the boosts and all support and friends and luck and strangers and laws and all that random stuff that's cobbled together to form your life.

So before you take a bite of that big juicy turkey (or tofurkey, for you insane vegetarians) say 'Thanks' to someone!

I'm thankful for friends and job-opportunities. I'm thankful for my degree and the four years at school before I got that. I'm thankful for family and food. I'm thankful for books and the turn in the political tide. I'm thankful for those who stand up for those who can't. I'm thankful to be in America (though I think I'd be just as happy in Europe or Australia). I'm thankful for big comfy beds and warm blankets. I'm thankful for the Simpson's seasons 1-8. For brainstorms. For notebooks and pencils.

The list could keep going.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: