29.11.07

Twenty Four

I'm twenty four.

It never fails. Birthdays come and go and I never really feel any older.

I guess I should start investing for my retirement. Kinda weird to think about. My first investment - the... uh... the lottery tickets I bought last night - sort of failed miserably. I figured it was a lottery draw day AND my birthday, it must be some sure sign.

Nope.

There are probably a lot of things I should be doing. I think, however, that anarchy is looking mighty fine right now. I'll just ride this wave out and see what happens, I guess.

Hmm, that sounds more fatalistic or nihilist than I really want. I'm totally working on stuff, drawing and stories and idea fermentation (speaking of which, Grungy Noir's been updated). It's good times. And it's not like I'm not enjoying life, because I certainly am.

What percentage of people live for their hobbies? How many people work at jobs they can tolerate so they can afford to go home and bake or garden or make pottery or sew or draw or write? How many people achieve a worthwhile satisfaction doing that?

I imagine it's quite a few. It seems to me that since forever, even before governments and jobs and corporations etc. (yeah, I know, good list) people did what they had to most of the time and really delighted in the times when they didn't have to gather wood, hunt animals or build houses for the community. Or something.

It's weird that we've developed this overinflated sense of enjoyment for fun activities after a hard day of work. Actually, it's not that weird. The people who did what they had to and then had fun were way more likely to survive and make little babies with similar states of mind than the lazy and self-indulgent.

Anyway, it all makes me think of a rather fitting, profound Futurama quote.


"Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"


Is any of this getting through to you?

1 comment:

Rachel Kay said...

basically that's the best story ever. Futurama is one of the most quotable shows. Although I did finally get my hands on a not entirely legal copy of the simpsons DVD rip, so maybe that will have some good quotes. Or disappointment. Either way, I am going to watch it. Where was I?

My dad works hard for the money, but when he comes home and the chores are done, my sister reads and watches TV, I knit or draw, my mother quilts or reads magazines, and my dad hides away in a private room and plays his mandolin.

Honestly it's not anything terribly exciting, but I strive for that sort of contentment and family routine.

I think if you love something, you will find a way to do it. Work doesn't have to be the most fun part of your day, and often it doesn't take that much time up! But you seem very smart and talented, so maybe you'll prove the norm wrong and do what you love and profit off of it! If anyone can do it, I think it's you!

Rachel