10 Easy Steps to Fascism in America.
Kinda scary. There certainly are stepping blocks in place for a horrible Über-State. Not that it will necessarily wind up in that place. Terrifying to think about, though. What I'm not looking forward too is when the prominent activists, journalists and whatnot all disappear.
Luckily, the checks and balances are not all destroyed. There are still steps to be taken and actions against the general rotten state of affairs.
Constant Vigilance, after all, is the price of democracy. Not a sacrifice of liberties. Not a random and volatile war for capital gain.
Uh, to arms? Not literally, of course, but it'd be pretty excellent if The People started standing up for Themselves, myself included.
In an unrelated note, sometimes I'm filled with pride for some of my students and disgust for some of the others. I have one girl, for instance, who printed out a bunch of signs with the Homo-Rainbow (phrase stolen from Ween) and the declaration "These are the colors of America. I support bi and gay people." She and her friends are wearing them around school today.
That's awesome. I'm all for standing for people. And student activism!
Of course, I walked into the bathroom earlier and someone had taped it up in the urinal. That is disgusting. Intolerance, as cool as it seems, is not cool at all. It's stupid, narrow-minded bullshit. I'm preaching to the choir here, probably, but it is most definitely a putrid practice. And a couple of kids were joking about how they were going to dispose of the signs. What the best way would be.
"I'm going to rip this up and stomp on it."
"I'm going to take it home and set it on fire."
Equally as gross.
No comments:
Post a Comment