6.6.07

Open Source Living

This is a bit of an unfocused ramble. I just saw a bOINGbOING link (forgive the lack of a direct URL, school forbids the site and I saw it through google.reader's proxy) that mentioned this upcoming weekend in Toronto is going to be "OpenCity." People will wander and exchange ideas etc. It's an "unconference." No doubt this is a direct result of things that the internet has afforded people, contributions from across a diverse field of interests, suggestions from outsiders, anonymity in posting comments etc. I'm not sure exactly how OpenCity works, but I image that the goal is to be as much like an internet forum as possible. A wiki, if you will. People are going to form a community and be together while maintaining some level of distance, I guess.

It seems like an interesting idea. The best solutions are the ones that are created by a group of people with a varied field of reference and different interests. It is because of different perspectives etc. that great solutions arise. New viewpoints unite with trained professionalism to create some wonderful innovations.

So here's my question, will the open freedom of the internet further manifest itself on society? Will events such as OpenCity continue to be a fringe group, outsider activity or will it come in and sweep the norm? I'm kind of hoping it does. I feel like a Webocracy would have some nice benefits. I'll admit I lean a little toward Socialism, so I'm excited that a Webocracy would most certainly provide some fantastic services for The People. On the other hand, the competitive edge of trying to make your service the one people use will ensure better products for all.

So, if this trend catches on, and I'll make this my formal prediction that it will, you can bet I'll be grinning about it.

Forget Web 2.0. Let's gear up for Life 2.0.

EDIT: OpenCity Toronter Lizink

No comments: