"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" -Dr. Johnson
30.3.02
I will write about a very important and remarkable character in my life. His passing on to a Better Place can hopefully bring him happier times than what he went through on this cold, loveless planet. Earth, and Nick's room especially, is no place for rats, and in Hector's dying I sincerely hope he has found peace. Joe, Jeremy and I first met Hector at the beginning of his journey on this rock, he was part of a biology project. Hector performed well in the simple tasks that were his charge, chasing after the food like greyhounds chase after those metal rabbit things. Biology class ended, and with it Hector's home, formerly the Lake Region High School biology room, was evicted of rats. So, Hector and his cage-mate, Puck, moved in with Nick. Hector remained happy, though, rejuvenated by My visits and kept company by Puck. When I was last at Nick's house I played with Hector a bit more than usual, perhaps sensing this would be our final goodbye. As per usual his little rat claws scratched up my hands, but he seemed to recognize me. Now Hector is gone. Go in peace, little rat, and may large cedar chip fields, cheese mountains and full water bottles await you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment